BigCommerce is sweet but the fly in the ointment is DNS this could take up to 48 hours to propagate.
The way we dd this was to utilize cloudflare – by the way Cloudflare you have a big fan here
To switch these domains I did the following – get things ready
- Hook Party Bag kids UK up to Cloudflare
- Leave that to propagate for 48 hours
- register partybagkids.co.uk and www.partybagkids.co.uk with google
- hook up some hosting for 301 redirects
- point www.partybagkids.co.uk to www.thelittletreasureboxcompany.co.uk using a 301 here I’m usiong virtual hosting on apache usin mod-redirect
- get a similar 301 ready for www.thelittletreasureboxcompany.co.uk
- export the current sitemap as xml
OK so no I have both domains on cloud flare and this ready to go as the cloudflare DNS is local I no longer have to worry about propagation – off to bed.
Kids wake me out the next day and Lucas has a swimming clas at 10am we have breakfast and decide to flip the sites.
- www.partybagkids.co.uk gets pointed at bigcommerce
- bigcommerce gets pointed at the new domain
- www.thelittletreasureboxcopmany.co.uk gets pointed at hosting
Test site – Job done off swimming.